Women Deserve Better.....Body Image Edition

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy



Every little girl played with Barbie, and I think it destroyed every little girl's self esteem. I know for me, not only the unrealistic image of being so skinny hurt me a lot (eventually morphing into an eating disorder, I also don't know any woman who hasn't had one), but also striving to be this perfection of blonde hair, blue eyes and to be "white" something that like being a size zero for the majority of women on this planet who aren't white is impossible.

Lisa Ling recently did a report on Oprah, in which she discussed how Mattel opening their first store in China was affecting the little girls there. As these little Chinese girls clutched their blonde hair, blue-eyed dolls they told her how they preferred those dolls, as opposed to dolls that looked like themselves, because they thought the white dolls were either more beautiful or were the only type of women who are beautiful. Based on my own personal experiences growing up playing with Barbie, and not being a typical "white" girl I'm not surprised, because it had that same impact on me, but watching these little girls being destroyed before my very eyes was beyond heartbreaking.

I'm glad that the girl in the above vide is addressing this issue and seeing this life-size version close-up puts how ridiculous this whole thing is into perspective. I definitely don't want to look like that. All women and girls on this planet are beautiful and we need to start celebrating ourselves and each other for the amazing powerful beings that we are!

Popular Posts