Its basically like Rebecca Black's song Friday except with more advanced concepts.

Below is a recent conversation I had with my sister via text messaging. It was all about us struggling to find our voice and place as artists. I felt it was important to share because I think a lot of women right now are definitely struggling with standing up and speaking their truth. But are afraid to do so, because they fear the backlash and possible alienation from those in their lives, specifically the ones of the male gender.

In it I mentioned something about not wanting to deal with any of this from guys. I've had multiple bfs who have not liked the idea of me being an artist, some of whom were artists themselves. I guess they found it too threatening. Whereas, I always approached the relationship super excited about us both being artists, because than we could work together on projects and create all this badass stuff, as well as support each other in a field that can be very difficult to be in. Apparently, they didn't share in my enthusiasm. I've also had people try to or actually steal multiple things in the past which sucks super bad.

(K represents my sister who is a super talented Opera singer, and C, well hopefully we can all figure out who that one is. Also I apologize for any grammar mistakes we both went to Catholic school and well thats just what happens.)


K: Sister! How are you feeling today?

C: Hi sister overall better but I'm super tired, however I did sleep well last night. How are you?

K: I'm ok, tired 2. On a super slow bus. Just went 2 a voice master class taught by my teacher's teacher. It was kinda satisfying watching these singers from prestigious schools w tons of credits on their resumes struggle with the same breathing I've been wking on 4 2yrs.

C: Yeah definitely. Are those schools ones you want to go to?

K: I did. Not anymore so much. Most of them go 2 the Manhattan school of music. Which is super competitive & really wants 2 be Julliard. I'm starting 2 think the main problem I have is confidence.

C: Yes I understand I was just thinking about how I want to share my blog with people but I'm scared. Its hard doing things that have to do with speaking ur truth/using ur voice as a woman!

K: Agreed. Been wrestling with this subject all week. It's been very emotional & kinda stressful. Just so tried of being scared all the time. Just want 2 feel free.

C: Yes me too, bc I don't want to deal with the fallout from stupid men attacking me especially those I thought were friends, and over men doubting and discouraging me from being an artist or trying to steal my ideas and projects.

K: Yeah, I don't want 2 deal with other professionals asking me why it's taken me so long, or why I don't have a music degree, or why I'm so old.

C: Yes, exactly. U might want to read this blog u can find it by googling "lauren gorgo blog" she was talking about how the next few weeks the divine feminine is really demanding to be heard and take its rightful place. It sounds like what we're talking about.

K: Exactly. What we are talking about! It feels like I'm being screamed@ all the time. Will def check it out when I'm hm. Thanks sister! :)

C: Yeah me too, I'm just so exhausted by all of it. I feel like I don't have any energy to defend myself or my writing.

K: Me 2. I'm sending you a hug! About 2 wkk will text when I'm hm 2nite. Love u.

C: Love you too!

Popular Posts