Naw Khet Mar's Wake Up Call



"Naw says that in the refugee camps in Thailand where she works it is crucial to enlist men into the struggle against domestic violence against women and girls. It's not just the responsibility of women to help women, Naw says, but men also need to help women."

I know from personal experience I've never felt comfortable talking to men about issues like domestic violence, because my whole life the only time I've ever heard men speak about these issues that destroy women's lives are when they are either joking about it, denying it exists, defending it, or encouraging other men to partake in abusing women. Its kind of just the larger issue we face as women, because we don't know which men (if any) are on our side, and we never hear men speak out and fight on our behalf. I can definitely count the number of times I've ever heard a man express anger or outrage at the way women are treated at the hands of men, on one hand. And keep in mind that's over the course of 28 years! I think that says all you need to know to understand why women feel so alone.

Popular Posts