PAPER OR PLASTIC?



Is anyone else totally digging the influx of dance shows and dance documentaries that seem to be showing up everywhere? From SYTYCD, to Breaking Pointe on the CW, to scripted shows like the clip above which is from a show called Bunheads, being a dancer is starting to become the cool thing to do, and in the case of the above clip it can also help educate people. My dorky sense of humor aside, I couldn't be more excited about all of this, especially since because of the way the Ascension process affects my body I haven't had any energy to go to a dance class in years, and it's given me the opportunity to live vicariously through all these other people. With that being said, I am hoping that soon enough I should have more energy and will FINALLY get to make dance a huge part of my life again :)

In the meantime if you are looking for some dance inspiration these are some films and some documentaries I would recommend checking out:

Only When I Dance
Jig
First Position
Mad Hot Ballroom
Mao's Last Dancer
Whatever Lola Wants
A State of Mind ( *This film is about two North Korean Rhythmic Gymnasts which I love, because that is what I used to do, and for the most part rhythmic is just a lot of ballet.)

The best part is that when I was searching on Netflix for the names of a few of these documentaries it kept trying to get me to put this travelogue documentary/concert by Jason Mraz in my dvd line. I haven't seen this video so I can't personally attest to if it would qualify as a "dance documentary" however it does have the words "we dance" in the title so maybe you'll pick up some moves there as well, even though Netflix decided that I would only give it 3.2 stars.

Popular Posts