GIRL TALK!!!





The way we treat each other as women is a topic that has been coming up a lot in my life lately. We, as women, can't always control the way men choose to treat us, but we can absolutely control the way we treat each other. Today on International Women's Day, I've decided to highlight some great orgs and articles that are addressing this very topic. The first is a group called Girl Talk, and the above video is from them. I would definitely recommend checking out their website.

"Girl Talk (www.mygirltalk.org) is an international non-profit peer-to-peer mentoring program with a very simple premise: high school girls mentor middle school girls to help them deal with the issues they face during their formative early teenage years. Our mission is to help young teenaged girls build self-esteem, develop leadership skills and recognize the value of community service. Since 2002, our organization has served more than 40,000 girls in 43 states and 7 countries."

The next article highlights Teenage Girls who are changing the world. A few of these girls I've talked about on Simple Rodeo Clown before, but a lot of them I hadn't actually heard of. They are doing a lot of wonderful work and deserve the recognition.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/cleanandclear/teens-who-are-changing-the-world

The last article talks about this next generation of teenagers and all the good that they are doing. I know that when I was a teenager I would've loved to have heard something positive about myself and my friends. I think the media attention surrounding this group is always so negative, even though there's a lot of young people who have really great ideas that we should all be listening to.

"There is little more that we could ask for, in these times of austerity and inequality, than a new generation of politically engaged, socially minded young people. Without wanting to sound supremely patronising, whenever I visit schools to talk to students about sexism in the media I am struck dumb by how much they care. When I started blogging about these topics, I perhaps arrogantly thought that, much like many people in their mid-20s-my own age - teenagers would think that feminism had done its job and was no longer needed. And yet it turned out that many of them knew it all already, and were sitting there patiently waiting for others to pick up on it."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/16/hoodies-goodies-teenagers-makings-good-citizens-young?CMP=twt_gu


Popular Posts